Friday, June 13, 2014

Blog #1 Environment/Initial Impressions: Maddie Fasel




This summer I got an internship at the Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH Magazine. I have always had an interest in communications/journalism and was lucky enough to get a spot working downtown every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. SPLASH Magazine is a weekly issue that comes out, offering information regarding everything in Chicago to the North Shore suburbs-- from fashion, dining, real estate, philanthropy, celebrities and more. 

My job title is an editorial intern, that means that I help out and work with the main editors of the magazine on my days here. Although I have always had an interest in magazines and writing, I had never really known the expectations required in this job. Most of my family works in the business aspect, but magazines are a completely different story! Because this is a weekly issue, many things have to be done before the due date (Thursday nights) to turn in each copy. Therefore, time is of the essence! There is ALWAYS something to be done, or something to do-- which makes the 9-5 days go by very quickly! 

The culture of the Chicago Sun-Times building is very different than the section put aside for SPLASH Magazine. Because SPLASH bases off of celebrities, gossip, etc. (things that don't really interest the male-persepctive), I tend to work with a lot of female interns and co-workers. The attire here is very fashionable and you can tend to get away wearing anything that you would consider to be cute or going-out attire. This is important because we are a fashion magazine-- therefore we should look the part! (Hint: You can always tell which workers are from SPLASH here at the Sun-Times building!)

Although, as I mentioned before, the demographic is mostly female, that is not all! There are males here who work too! The age-gap in SPLASH is around 20-40, so I feel very comfortable talking and interacting with everyone. My main job is to fact-check, provide images, call clients, interview stores/celebrities, etc. throughout the day. I love being in such a friendly, happy environment! 

Overall, I am enjoying my time here at SPLASH Magazine. I get excited for every week, because everyday is something different here! To find more information out about splash, check out our main website: http://splash.suntimes.com


3 comments:

  1. Hi Maddie!
    I am so happy you are enjoying the environment of your internship and it sounds like you are learning a lot! It is interesting to learn how the magazine runs in regards to timing, age and in relation to the Chicago Sun-Times. It is also good to know that even though you are an intern, your boss is giving you a lot to do and giving you responsibilities to prepare you for real-life interactions in this field. I look forward to hearing more about your internship, especially since publishing and magazines interest me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddie,
    Although I am working in a court this summer I am also very interested in journalism so your internship sounds so exciting to me! Chicago is also the best city in the world so I couldn't be more jealous! I am sure the more time to spend at the magazine the more you will learn about the process as you follow many articles and publications from start to finish. Good luck with the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone interning in journalism too (though very different -- at a daily city paper) I find this very interesting. I don't have the culture of pushing to deadline on a weekly basis, but a daily one. On the other hand, the articles you're publishing are much more polished. Are you getting to write much?

    ReplyDelete