Thursday, June 19, 2014

Week 1: Living Yoga

So far from my first few days at Living Yoga I have realized this working environment is much different from my past experiences and I am very excited about it. Living Yoga is such a laidback and easygoing workplace. Everyone is so friendly and kind, which has made my first week in Portland absolutely great. The company has a very unique policy pertaining to “venting” in which all members of the workforce are allowed to approach one another and vent as long as the listener approves. I think this is a very interesting policy because it allows for individuals to express themselves and get things off their chest before personal feelings pile up and get in the way of work.

Along with the general laidback office attitude, the dress code is also pretty relaxed. The office dress code is business casual, but it leans more casual. Individuals dress up enough to the point where they are still professional but we are not forced to wear uncomfortable suits and heels like some of the other offices I have worked in. I really love this casual vibe because at my internship last summer I was constantly worried about how I dressed and needing to make sure my bosses would be pleased. By contrast, at Living Yoga there is a much wider range of what is considered socially acceptable and I also feel much more comfortable when I go to work. I think the business casual dress code is very beneficial to the office because individuals are able to work more effectively and efficiently if they are comfortable in what they are wearing.


The individuals in the office are all very friendly to one another. It’s like working in a little community filled with friends who all respect one another and are happy to come to the office.  I work with men and women of different ages and some of different sexual orientation. However, these demographics are quickly forgotten at work. Each individual is treated with respect and they are valued for what they bring to the office.


After such a promising few days, I am very eager to continue this exciting new experience.

2 comments:

  1. Your work environment sounds very similar to mine! I think that this kind of atmosphere allows the interns to feel more comfortable and not as intimidated to ask for projects and assimilate into the team. As I reach my third week I find that coming into work is not as scary because my team is relaxed and eager to teach me what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "venting" policy is really interesting. It does seem like a great way to make people feel comfortable with their colleagues.

    ReplyDelete