Wednesday, June 11, 2014

4) Changing Perspectives

I had been to Israel before on a teen program and thought that I had a pretty good grasp on what the country had to offer.  I traveled to all the popular tourist spots -  the Western Wall, the Dead Sea, Masada, the beach in Tel Aviv - and ate Shwarma daily. However, after living here on my own for over a month now I have learned so much more about the people and the culture of Israel.  I have been in contact with many different cultural groups that I had never known about before - and I now think the Jewish Yemenite food is much better than any Falafel.

My overall favorite aspect of Israeli culture is how welcoming the people are on Shabbat.  Every weekend I am invited over to someone's house - I am greeted with open arms and served delicious food.  It is very nice how hospitable Israelis are to people they have never met before... I don't think this exists in America.

Israel's business culture has also surprised me.  I have always known that Israel was on the forefront of technological innovations, but it is very refreshing to be a part of the start-up scene myself. There is a lot of talent in Israel now, and it will be exciting to see where these young entrepreneurs end up in the next ten years.

I guess I am most surprised about the Palestinian-Israeli relations up close.  I have learned about their problems in the class room, but it is much more intense to see the tension up close.  Many of the shabbat dinner conversations end up with a heated debate on the politics behind the dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment