Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sporting Kansas City Internship - Getting to Know Your Colleagues


From the first day, I was told that sports business is not about “what you know,” but about “who you know.” That being said, it’s important to be constantly be meeting new people, learning from them, and taking advantage of all my interactions with them. I have started acquainting myself with the entire Sales staff. From joining in on their conversations to illustrating that I am always ready to help them out with a task, I have been making more of a presence in the office.

My supervisor’s name is Zack Robinson, and he is the Senior Account Executive. He has been a fantastic go-to person throughout the first three weeks. He has me working on major projects. He has introduced me to the staff. He has been the person who has answered all my questions. Unfortunately, he will be leaving the office in two days, because he has received an amazing job opportunity with the Philadelphia 76ers. It just shows the atmosphere of sports business. It’s one of those fields in which unexpected opportunities may rise. And when they do, you make chase it down and make something out of it.

Starting next week, Zack Robinson will not be in the office. This makes me a little nervous, because I now I don’t really know who to go to with questions. I’m not really sure who else on the staff will have the time to help me out with anything if I need it. On the other hand, I think I will easily come to be fine. Like I originally said, I have been trying to get to know the entire Sales staff. Now is my chance to network even more with them.

One of my favorite Salesperson is Beth Brittain. She is by far one of the most enthusiastic workers in the office. She is always working on the phones and emails. When she talks to a client on the phone, she takes the time to make sure she illustrates that she cares about what her clients think. She always laughs and gets along with everyone. Two days ago, she had me working on a couple projects. For instance, I had to research youth organizations in the Kansas City area that we’ll eventually want to reach out to for a local event. I definitely feel comfortable around her, and I hope to continue to get to know her well.

Sometimes though, I think I come off as immature. Many times, I have felt that I am not able to effectively communicate my thoughts in a convincing manner. And when I try to stand out and come off as confident, I may say something or do something that is completely unnecessary. I really need to work on my communication skills and body language. By the end of the summer, this will improve.

The next few weeks should be very exciting. There will be a lot of buzz going on about the World Cup!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sunny!
    Yes, our jobs are extremely similar! Funny how two people in our offices have moved to the 76ers. I have also learned that our fields are all about having connections. I constantly see my boss and other people leaving the office to go meet with clients. I haven't done this yet, but I am going to start going on these meeting with the sales representative. Maybe you should ask you boss if you could go the same thing! I think this will be a good experience for you.
    Have you found that you office is moving a little slowly, since it is the office season? When I get big research projects I am kept pretty busy but some times I am doing nothing at all for the entire day.
    Can't wait to hear more from you!
    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete