Sunday, June 15, 2014

Week 2: U of M Michigan Mentorship Program


This summer, I chose to participate in the University of Michigan Mentorship Program. Essentially, this program pairs each U of M student with a Michigan alumnus/alumna who is located in the same region that summer, shares the same interests, and has an occupation in the student’s specific field of interest. My mentor is Erin, a Michigan alumna who currently is the Adwords Account Manager at Google. Erin is from a small town in Michigan (located in the thumb area if you use your hand) and is the only student from her high school to attend the University of Michigan. Erin received a Bachelor of Arts in English and networked her way to Google. At our first meeting, she gave me a tour of the Google office, introduced me to her co-workers, and showed me the way to the froyo room where we both dived into peanut butter and jelly froyo. Erin gave me advice for my current internships and provided me with suggestions on how to stand out at my internship where I am only working two days a week. Erin also informed me about organizations that I should join my senior year at U of M. I am very excited for my next meeting with Erin. 

2 comments:

  1. Alana,

    Really cool that you did the mentorship program! I didn't get to because I chose my internship late in the game, but that is really great. I've heard the craziest things about the google offices -- one of my friends that just graduated from U of M is doing Adwords too, and she said they get a free massage every month and have an espresso machine on each floor. Makes me want to work for Google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana,

    I didn't know about the mentorship program. This is a brilliant idea by the university. I hope that you learn a lot. It's hard to get your foot in the door at Google, but it looks like you've found a way to do it.

    ReplyDelete