Monday, June 30, 2014

Post #3: Overcoming Obstacles


Hi All,
So I just finished my 6th week at Conan and it is unbelievable how fast my time here has been going by here.  As far as my time at the internship, I think I have been doing well so far and am picking up on things pretty quickly but I could also improve.  One thing I have found challenging is finding things for myself to do when there is downtime at work. With almost 30 other interns in my department, it can be a challenge to keep myself busy when it is a slower day at the office.  After asking my boss for advice, he told me to try to do laps around the office and stage to see if anyone needs help with anything.  I have found that the more I have gotten to know my coworkers and vice versa, the more they are likely to look for me specifically when they need help. 
Additionally, my boss has informed our intern group as a whole on things we could all improve on. One thing he mentioned was that he did not want people to crowd around his desk when they are bored and that instead they should take initiative to find their own work.  He also informed us that we should be professional when answering the phones and to make sure that we get all the information we need from the caller when taking a message for someone on staff.  Answering phones and covering desks for staff members is something that I at first struggled with and was afraid to do, but am now completely comfortable with.  I surprised myself by how much I now enjoy covering the phones of the talent coordinators during the show, as this was something I was afraid to do on my own at the beginning of my internship.  However, now that I know most of the names of the staff members and other protocol on how to answer their phones, this task seems like a breeze to me. 
Another challenging task I have faced at the internship is training new interns.  As an intern myself, it was at first a little eerie to find myself showing the ropes to my fellow interns, as I have only been working at Conan a mere six weeks longer than them.  At first, I felt a little bossy trying to tell them what tasks they can do such as distributing the mail, getting coffee orders, etc. but now I understand it is necessary for them to learn what they can do to help contribute to the office.  Knowing now that many of the newer interns appreciate being taught new things about the job, I feel comfortable showing them what else they can do to help. 
Can’t wait to see what’s in-store over the next few weeks!
All the best,
Kathleen

Answering the phones!


Some coworkers and I after a long day at work.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree when you write "finding things to do when I have downtime at work". I would agree that the only downfall of being an intern, is that we have to wait until told when to do something (so I find that I could sit for even an hour waiting for the next task). Let me know what you have found to do during this time because I feel the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are 30 other interns? That sounds like an intense work environment but judging from your last picture I'm sure you guys still manage to have fun.

    ReplyDelete